2012年4月3日火曜日

Calgary Home Stay Trip - Part 2



So where did I leave off?  Oh, yes, the Banff trip.  On Monday morning, the Japanese students and teachers met in the library of the school.  We left for our Banff trip and we had a JTB tour guide who spoke Japanese and English.  He was a fantastic guide, and our bus driver was an excellent driver, too.




It was really interesting watching the teachers and students in the bus during the trip.  The teachers told me they were very surprised to see so much open space and they were shocked at how big the mountains were.  I’ve been to the mountains many times, but I still enjoy seeing them anytime I have a chance to visit Banff or Canmore.  It made me very proud and happy to see our Japanese guests enjoying the scenery of my country.

The first place we went to when we arrived at Banff was Sulphur Mountain.  We took the gondola up the mountain and enjoyed the beautiful view at the top.  I think we were very lucky that day because it was a very clear day.









Next we went for lunch…at a Japanese restaurant.  We had a bento box style lunch.  I thought this was a little strange, eating Japanese food with people from Japan in Canada.  I mean, I’ve had Japanese food many times in Canada.  But you would think if you had people from Japan visiting your home country you would want to serve them foods from your country.  It was delicious so I didn’t think it was strange for long!  (I tend to get over things fast if there’s tasty food involved!)





Next, we went to a museum in Banff that had all of the animals that you could find in the area.  I normally don’t like stuffed animals, but I have to admit it was neat seeing all of those animals in one place.  Also, the building of the museum itself was built the way the houses and buildings were constructed many years ago in the Banff area. 













After the museum, we loaded the bus and went to Bow Falls.  Now, if you’ve ever seen Bow Falls, you know it’s a wide waterfall.  I was really looking forward to seeing it…but it was mostly frozen over!  It was still a very beautiful sight with the snow and ice, but I told the teachers that they would have to visit me in Canada again one day in the summer, autumn, or springtime so that I could show them what this waterfall looks like during those seasons.






We were then taken to a few different spots throughout Banff so that we could look at a few of the great views in Banff.  One of the locations had a great view of the hoodoos. 







After sightseeing, the students were given some free time to shop at Banff Avenue.  I found some interesting gifts:




Ok, ok, I didn’t buy the toilet golf game.  (I bought the toilet fishing game instead….;-)  Boy, and I thought Japan had some crazy gadgets and gifts!  I guess zaniness can be found everywhere…

When I was shopping with my teacher friend, we had to stop and watch the local chocolate shop.



Yes, we ended up buying some yummy chocolates!  How could you not?

That night we ate a steak dinner and had more free time in the evening.  Many students (and teachers;-) continued shopping and went back to the hotel lobby to “hang out.”  Many students also took this opportunity to call home.  Again.  (Many students would call home 1-2 times a day.)

The next morning we ate a buffet style breakfast at 6:30am and caught the bus at 8:00am.  We drove to Lake Louise and took many pictures of the lake, the hotel, and the castle ice sculpture.  Unfortunately, it was snowing and the view at Lake Louise was not clear, but it was still a lovely place to visit.  The kids really enjoyed the ice!





Next, we attempted to go to see the Crowfoot Glacier.  Like I said, it was snowing and the roads were not in ideal condition.  But our wizard of a driver, “Frank-san,” got us to the destination safe and sound.  The only problem was that it wasn’t clear enough to see the glacier.  After hours of driving, you would think that the students and teachers would be disappointed about the foggy view.  I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed.  But suddenly the tour-guide jumped into the snow bank.  I told him to make a snow-angel for the students.  I had attempted to describe what a “snow-angel” was in one of my lessons to the Japanese students a few months prior to this trip, and here was the perfect opportunity to actually see one!  The guide started fanning out his legs and arms and made a beautiful snow-angel.

And then the kids jumped into the snow bank.  And then they started throwing snow at each other.  And the teachers joined in.  It was like watching children play in the snow for the first time!  Now, you know from my previous posts that it snows in Japan.  In fact in Tarui, it snows a lot!  I’m sure the students have played in the snow back home when they were little, but here they were, acting like it was the first time they had ever played in the snow.  Everyone got involved.  It was great!






As we brushed the snow off of each other and loaded the bus, the Crowfoot Glacier was in view for just a moment.  Unfortunately, I didn’t get my camera out quick enough to take a picture.

We went to a Chinese restaurant for lunch and then headed back to Calgary.  




I think the students had a great time in Banff.  Playing in the snow was a wonderful way to end our trip.  When we returned to the school, the students went home with their home stay family for the evening. 

The next day, the Japanese students went to school again.  In the morning, the students followed the junior high classes around.  The teachers got a tour of the Calgary Catholic School Board Office.  What a nice office!

Also, the teachers had lunch with some of the staff from the head office.





In the afternoon, the Japanese students presented their small demonstrations to the Junior High students.  The activities and demonstrations consisted of Sho-do (Japanese calligraphy), origami, and games.










That evening, the students went home with their host families for the final time.  In the morning, the students said their goodbyes to their host families.  I think everyone exchanged emails, and many of the students later told me that they wanted to stay in Canada.  They also said that they want to return to Canada one day and visit their host families again.  I have to really thank everyone who was involved with this project, especially the host families.  This experience wouldn’t be the same without the support of these generous families and I hope everyone had a good time hosting these students.  I know the students had a great time!  (Like I said, they had such a good time that they didn’t want to leave!)

Before leaving for the airport, the principal and administrative assistant from Cardinal Newman School presented the students and teachers with one last souvenir from Canada: a fantastic book filled with pictures of the Rocky Mountains. 






As we returned home, many of the students wore their white cowboy hats in the airports and the bus and train stations in Japan.  It was quite a sight to see.  Yeehaw!






After travelling for about twenty hours, we arrived back in Tarui at midnight.  We had a brief meeting at the school where the students stood in rows again.  I was surprised to see how many teachers and townspeople were at the school to greet the students and staff.  Just like at the start of the trip, a couple of speeches were made.  The mayor said a few words, the principal, and even a student gave a short speech.  After that, we all went home in the rain.



I remember returning home (Tarui, Japan) from this busy week thinking it was all a dream.  It all happened so fast!  It’s too bad that the students could only stay in Canada for a week.  But even in the short time the students had, they made some wonderful new friends and they had many great experiences.  I have a feeling that they will never forget their new memories of Canada.  I know I’ll never forget…




0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿