2011年12月16日金曜日

Early Christmas in Shizuoka


I went to visit my Japanese mom and dad in Shizuoka last weekend.  I wanted to see them before I left for Canada next week.  They took me to see Mount Fuji and to a temple where the first Shogun’s tomb is.  I wanted to share my photos with you in this post.

First, I have to show you a very special Japanese table.  This is a low table that has a heater underneath it.   You connect a special blanket to the table and sit on the floor with your feet under the table.  It’s nice and toasty warm!  I have one at home as well…although I can’t seem to find the connecting blanket.  Oh well.  Here’s a picture of it:



And here’s a picture of my Japanese family’s cat, Hana:



Next, I am going to show you some pictures of Mount Fuji. 

Now you have to understand that in Canada, I live very close to the Rocky Mountains and I have seen many beautiful mountains in my lifetime.  But I have to say, seeing Mount Fuji on a clear day when it has fresh snow on the top was breath-taking.  I was simply speechless.  Mount Fuji is like the perfect mountain!  Just like Mount Ibuki in Tarui, Mount Fuji is one of the only mountains in the area that has snow on it.  Every other surrounding mountain is completely clear, so Mount Fuji stands out among the other mountains (besides being much larger, as well!)  Also, the shape of Mount Fuji is almost perfectly symmetrical.  It’s a mystery to me how a mountain can even look that way.  (What can I say, the Rocky Mountains that I have seen are very…well, rocky and not even close to being symmetrical).  And finally, Mount Fuji is one HUGE mountain.  WOW!  Again, my pictures simply don’t do this mountain justice, but here are some pictures:










I have seen many pictures and postcards of Mount Fuji in the past, but nothing seems to do justice for this spectacular, beautiful giant.

Next, I went on a gondola with my Japanese family to see the first Shogan’s grave.  This is us in the gondola (which, by the way, was the only way to the temple):



Here is the view once we stepped off of the gondola:





Here are some pictures of the temple itself:













And here is Japan’s first Shogun’s resting spot:



This spot is supposed to be a powerful spot, so my Japanese family asked me if I felt powerful at that moment.  I am ashamed to say that I didn’t really feel any different, but I still really enjoyed my experience witnessing and experiencing this temple with them.  Here is the shogun’s family crest:



Next, we went to a museum that had many interesting things like 500 year old katanas, armor, and many different things that the first shogun used, like his stool, his eyeglasses, and his fans.  I wasn’t allowed to take pictures, so I don’t have anything to show you at the moment.  But if you come and visit me in Japan, I’ll take you there personally!  I would definitely go back!

For part of my time in Shizuoka, I visited a friend.  We went shopping and we went to an end-of-year community party where a famous Japanese singer sang us a couple of popular traditional Japanese tunes.  (I didn’t recognize her or her traditional popular Japanese songs, but I thought she sang well and she looked very pretty).  Here are some photos of her:





Here are some photos of my friend and her friends:




I am really blessed to be here in Japan.  Even though many of my friends and family members are so far away, I still feel very welcomed by my friends and Japanese family here in Japan.  I have to thank everyone that has made me feel so welcome and so at home in Japan.  Especially Ayumi, Masako, Akira, Miho, Tomomi, Kenta, and Maki.  You all really make me feel like Japan is my “home away from home,” and I am very fortunate to have wonderful friends like yourself.  Thank you for kindness, understanding, patience, and friendship.  I will cherish our time together always!!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿