2011年9月22日木曜日

The MINOR Bicycle Accident...

OK, now I briefly mentioned on Facebook that I got into a slight bicycle accident when going to work a week ago.  Since then, people have been sending anxious messages and emails asking if I'm alright.  So I am going to write about it on this blog to set the record straight ---> I had a very MINOR bicycle accident and I am fine.

You see, there's a railway track that runs through Tarui, the town I'm living in.  To get to Fuwa Junior High School I have to cross the tracks one way or another.  So I usually bike underneath the tracks where there is a one lane road for cars and a very narrow sidewalk for pedestrians and bikers like me.  I take a path to the bottom of this hill, ride under the tracks and bike back up the hill.  The road can only have a single car pass, so there is a set of lights at either side of the road to notify the drivers when to drive underneath the tracks.  The road and single sidewalk is surrounded by concrete walls.

Now I always look both ways when I am the bottom of the hill.  I look to see if there's any pedestrians, and if there are I let them have the right of way.  If there's another biker, I let them go by so that they can get enough speed to get back up the hill.  But as I have mentioned, the road is surrounded by concrete walls so there are a couple of blind spots.

So there I was, at the bottom of the hill looking both ways.  No one was coming.  I start pedalling to go up the hill and I hear a car behind me.  Suddenly, in front of me I see a biker who clearly hasn't noticed me and he is biking down the hill quickly so that he will have enough speed to make it up the hill on the other side.  But I'm obviously in his way and he is looking in the opposite direction, it's too late to slam on the brakes, and this sidewalk's not big enough for the two of us!  So in that very moment I realized that I had three options:

1) Turn onto the road and get hit by the car behind me.

2) Hit the biker head on.

3) Try to veer towards the concrete wall and pray for a miracle.

So I decided to go with option 3.  I snapped the handlebars to the right and I finally saw a panicked look in the other biker's eyes as he noticed the other biker on the sidewalk (ahem...me).  I have no idea how we both managed to stay on the sidewalk and miss the car, but I looked behind me and he kept on pedalling.  No apologies.  No stopping to see if I was alright (I clearly hit the concrete wall with my body, not the bike).  He didn't even give me so much as a glance to see if I was alright.  But I don't blame him.  I think he was really stunned, shy, and embarrassed.  I guess that sidewalk was big enough for the two of us after all!

It was then that I realized that my elbow was throbbing.  I looked at it and sure enough I had hit the concrete wall with my elbow.  But besides a bit of road rash, I was fine and so was the other biker (and driver).

So with that, I continued biking to work and simply slapped on several band-aids onto my new wound and went about my business.  The wound looked worse than what it was, and it took at bit of time to heal, but now it's just a bright pink patch on my arm the size of a toonie that constantly reminds me to ride safely around town on my bike.

I still go up the same hill, although the only difference is that I now ring my bell the entire time like a crazy person until I get to the top of the hill.  (The people who live in the area must look out their window while drinking their Green Tea and simply shake their head at the silly foreigner).

A teacher at Fuwa Junior High mentioned that a student had gotten into a bicycle accident in that very same area, except with him it sounded like both bikers were not paying any attention and both boys were sent to the hospital.

This has brought up another issue as well: I do not have a bicycle helmet.  In fact, everyone who rides a bike, specifically a Granny Bike, does not wear a helmet.  I asked a couple of Japanese friends and they laughed at me at the idea of wearing a helmet while riding such a slow bike.  They said that if I was riding a Sports Bike, sure, wear a helmet.  But if I decided to sport a helmet while riding my sluggish bike, I got the impression I would look "special" to the locals...but not "special" in a very good way if you catch my drift.  In saying that, if I got into an accident with a car, I don't want to end up "special" because of what the locals might say.

So it's decided: I will buy a new bicycle helmet and I will buy a brand new Sports Bike to match;-)  Off to the bike shop, I say!  Besides, I'm having a heck of a time biking to Kita Junior High.  "Kita" literally means "North" in Japanese, but I'm beginning to think it means "uphill."  I know, I know, it could be that I'm out of shape (even though I go running 3 - 5 times a week), but I won't know if it's my bike or me until I try riding a speedy, sleek new sports bike.  Hey, what can I say?  I enjoy shopping, even if it's for a new bike.  It won't hurt to at least look...

So until next time...but I do have to say that I hope this blog puts people's minds at ease that I'm ok.  I mean, the fact that I'm writing about almost getting into a serious accident and I suddenly talk about shopping should be a clear indication that I am fine.  So everyone (you know who you are) please stop worrying!  I'm fine!  If there ever was an emergency I would notify home as soon as possible.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to pack for Kyoto.  I better pack my rain poncho because there's going to be a killer typhoon tomorrow that may cause crazy floods and frightening mudslides.....just kidding!!  Please don't worry;-)  I am fine.  And the typhoon has passed.  Again, you know who you are so please stop worrying.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿